The course is as follows:
- Garment Construction
- Pattern drafting
In Garment Construction you will sew samples to learn and enhance your sewing skills, understand the garment construction methods, and then create patterns for those garments.
A domestic sewing machine at home is suitable for this course, and overlocker is optional but once you have used one you will want to add this workhorse to your sewing studio.
In Patternmaking the student will create the toiles (calico) for the blocks and create fashion garments from those blocks. There will be plenty of scope for creativity. The student will learn how to create personalised blocks for:
- T Shirt
- fitted Shirt(dress) and sleeve
- collars, necklines, cuffs, fly zips etc.
and many adaptations so you understand the design process.
You will receive a Certificate of Completion in Apparel Creation Level 3 from the Academy.
Distance courses may start at anytime, however be aware we follow the secondary school holidays and appropriate term breaks when sending in your assignments for feedback.
- Your investment for this course is $3600
- An interest free instalment plan is available, see enrolment form
- Fees subject to change
Basic Materials Required
- GARMENT CONSTRUCTION SUPPLIES
- 1 x 60 Page Display Book or copy safe pockets for sending in work
- 5 meters of calico for samples
- PATTERNMAKING SUPPLIES
- 1 x Set Square
- 1 x Tracing Wheel
- 1 x French Curve
- 1 x length of Fabric for patternmaking, for tracing off patterns and protecting table tops
- 4 x Coloured Felt Pens
- 1 x Mechanical Pencil
- 1 x Paper Scissors
- 1 x Eraser
Because of the modular nature of the Apparel Creation Course the student can complete this course at home. Start with Dressmaking and move onto Patternmaking developing your skills as you move through the course.
Broken down into its parts:-
- Develop mastery of the sewing machine
- Skirt – increase your techniques and learn how to construct a basic skirt – Pattern draft a skirt and adaptations
- Knit – increase your techniques and learn how to construct a basic knit top – Pattern draft a knit top and adaptations
- Fitted bodice block – increase your techniques and learn how to construct different fitted tops in standard size – Pattern draft fitted bodice block and adaptations
- Trouser/Pants – increase your techniques and learn how to construct a basic trouser – Pattern draft trousers and adaptations.
We know life intrudes in distance study so we estimate you will complete this course at home within 3 years it all depends on how much time you commit to the course. By putting aside 5 hours for 3 days per week to work on your samples and patternmaking you should complete the course in 2 years.
You may start this course at anytime
- Your investment for this course is $3600, Optional Sewing Kit $97 and Patternmaking Kit $222.45 available.